ACA executes search warrant on suspected major spammer
The Australian Communications Authority (ACA) today executed a search warrant on the premises of a Perth-based company as part of an investigation under the federal anti-spam legislation.
The warrant had been issued by the Federal Magistrates Court on the grounds that the ACA reasonably suspected the company of sending tens of millions of unsolicited commercial emails in breach of the Spam Act 2003.
The contents of computer hard disks and other material were seized by ACA inspectors for examination during the search.
The company and its sole director were also issued with formal notices requiring them to produce documents and other information about their activities to the ACA within two weeks.
ACA Acting Chairman Dr Bob Horton said he could not name the company at this time.
“However, the ACA has received reports from members of the public alleging that they have received thousands of unsolicited emails sent by this company,” he said. “Further investigations suggested that this was only the tip of the iceberg.”
Computer forensics experts from Deloitte Forensics and lawyers from the Australian
Government Solicitor assisted the ACA in the execution of the warrant
The Bass Amateur Radio Irlp Group Blog site http://bassirlp.blogspot.com/
Saturday, April 09, 2005
- Bass Archives
- Google Search: bass irlp
- thank-you to all who participated 1st IRLP Interna...
- The contest is coming to a close (17 APRIL 2005).
- ACA executes search warrant on suspected major spa...
- DATA LAST UPDATED Friday April 08, 2005 16:21 +11...
- Subject: irlp contest participating stns Issue 60A...
- Subject: irlp contest participating stns Issue 60
- IRLP International Contest WORDS BACK
- DATA LAST UPDATED Friday April 01, 2005 13:50 +10...
- ▼ April (10)